Monday, February 16, 2009

we ate, and we ate, and we ate

The stars aligned for Kevin and I and blessed us with back to back birthdays. Kev is Feb. 12 and I'm Feb 13. Since I've recruited Kevin to the dark side of the foodie kingdom, we usually spend our birthdays eating good food! This year was no different. Hey, if it aint broke, don't fix it, right?

Kevin woke up Thursday morning, one year older and still three years and a day older than me. I wanted to make his day full of special moments, so we started the day with breakfast. I made french toast, eggs, and bacon. Nothing fancy, but definitely not a typical weekday breakfast. I'm usually in the car chowing down a whole wheat english muffin and Kevin cleans out the Cisco Cafe with a double espresso macchiato, a big bowl of fruit, sometimes cereal, or egg whites and/or toast and bacon. Yeah, I know, it shocks me every time I think about it too. Anywho, back to birthday breakfast. Once Kevin left for work, I waited patiently for the best bakery this side of the western hemisphere to open so I could pick up a cupcake for him (and one for me too!). Icing on the Cake had these fun single cupcake boxes and cute ribbon. So for the price of three cupcakes, I got one box and a cupcake for Kev....vanilla with a strawberry/raspberry frosting. He's a berry guy, I'm a chocolate/peanut butter gal. I picked up a peanut butter cupcake with peanut butter frosting dipped in milk chocolate. Talk about a sugar roller coaster...I was kinda dead weight after taking that thing down.

Okay, this is getting a bit long-winded as my blogs tend to do. SOOO, I'll shorten this puppy up.

Delivered cupcake to Kevin's work. Kevin ate cupcake instantly (about 1 1/2 hours after big'ol breakfast). Kevin went to Chinese food for lunch with coworker/friend. We went to dinner at Bistro Basia in Palo Alto. Delicious little bistro, will definitely go back soon. The wait staff was incredibly friendly and attentive. I started with a wild mushroom soup and had cornish game hen with wilted spinach for dinner. Kevin was allowed to have a couple bites of my soup and had an asparagus and pancetta risotto (Kevin has a new thing for risotto....it's a little scary.). I brought a bottle of Amici Cab do go with dinner because the birthday thinks that Napa Cabs are about the best thing since, well, probably risotto. I tend to think otherwise, but it was Napa Cab/Risotto boy's birthday, so Napa Cab we shall drink. It was delicious, I must admit. Anywho, we finished dinner with two deserts, an apricot souffle and the second courtesy of the chef, a choclate citrus mousse that I think will be with me for the next three years. Damn you decadent dessert!

We ate, we slept and we did it all over again the next day for my birthday. Oh sweet reward! I had to be in the office early so no special breakfast for me. I did go to lunch with my coworkers and finally had the bean and cheese burrito I'd been crazing for about two weeks. Yes it's simple, but some of the simplest things are the most enjoyable! (see spring vegetable garden post) For dinner, Kev and I went to Trevese in Los Gatos and had an amazing meal! We will definitely go back for a special occasion meal. We started with the winter root vegetable salad. I had the braised short ribs for my entree and Kevin had the vegetarian sampler. He was going to go for the suckling pig, but I think we both got a little freaked out. From one extreme to another! For dessert we had a yummy flourless chocolate cake with a birthday candle. (candle not edible) Thanks for the special touch at the end of the dinner Rob, Dawn, and Jake! ;)

Two birthdays down, about 10,000 calories each, and on we go to another year of life, love, and happiness. Crystal ball says this is going to be a wonderful year for us both!

No comments:

Post a Comment