Monday, August 31, 2009

get your can on


Grandma Hicks and Grandma Westhafer got together last week for Canning 2009. Don't laugh, I'm serious. Just because you have you face planted on your iphone and your hand on the remote bouncing between TMZ and Kendra, doesn't mean that we've all forgotten about the simple and bountiful joys of yesteryear.

I have an apricot tree and Allison has a peach and apricot tree. Kevin's dad brought over about 25 pounds of apples from their tree. Together Allison and I made 37 jars of apricot preserves, peach preserves, apricot honey (like preserves but w/o the pectin which makes it thick) and apple butter. Allison's peach preserves are always my favorite. I canned another nine jars of apple butter over the weekend and two jars of apple sauce for Casey. This was my first year making apple butter and I really like how it turned out. I went easy on the sugar so it tastes more like spiced apple sauce, but it's pretty good. When my new crop of lemons come in and if it's before Casey's arrival I think I might make lemon curd and can that too. You never know when you need a spare jar of curd for lemon bars and lemon meringue pie. You just never know. Especially if you're mother-in-law salivates over anything lemon. Now if I can master pie crust I'll be in business.

By the way, if you do ever take a break from reality TV and your fancy iphone apps, OSH is the best place to buy canning jars and tools. Great prices and selection!

No comments:

Post a Comment