Friday, September 4, 2009

facebook i don't heart you

Friday Rant: Facebook.

I'm not sure if one is allowed to rant on a Friday. I believe rants are suppose to be saved for Sunday evening and Monday, but this Sunday evening I'll be with my favorite people in the whole world...mom, dad, kate, kevin and lucy and Monday we'll be driving home from San Diego to San Jose and I'm not technologically savvy enough to rant while driving north on the 5. Isn't that illegal anyway?

Digression complete, ranting may commence. So, Facebook. I think I'm the only person in all of the 20% of world citizens who use facebook that hates it. Here's why I hate it:

1) I feel like a total loser when I find out big news from one of my "friends" via facebook. Example: engagements, marriage, pregnancy.

2) I find texting terribly impersonal and only good for quick, "I'm running late, will be there in 5," or "have a great weekend, catch up with you on Monday." I find the "wall posts" just as impersonal and annoying. Call me/email me to ask how my life's been over the course of the past 6 months. To me, a "I haven't talked to you in so long, how's everything going" post translates to "I haven't talked to you in so long and don't really care to so I'm going to mark you off my list by sending a wall post."
**Note: To all friends who do this: try not to get offended, if you truly think about it, you'll see I have a valid point. I do this myself all the time, so please don't think I'm trying to be holier than thou.**

3) It confuses the crap out of me. I swear I've checked every possible security setting, yet I still get the most random things posted to my wall/get comments from people I don't know only because I commented on the status of someone I do know. Now, I really don't think I'm a technology retard, I actually can get myself out of sticky technology conundrums pretty easily, but the Facebook settings just through me into a tail spin.

4) Facebook friends. This may sting a little, I'm sorry. But like the note in comment 2, try to see where I'm coming from before getting bent out of shape. Just try. Facebook friends: If I haven't seen you in two years or talked to you in the same amount of time and we don't have plans to see each other in the next year or call each other, are we really friends? Ok, that did sound rude. Let me try to rephrase: If I haven't talked to you since high school, don't have your number, don't know what state you live in, I don't think we're "friends" and so I don't really think we should be facebook friends. Maybe if Facebook changed the friends tag to acquaintances, I'd feel a little more positive about this. Because truly, most of my friends on facebook, are leaning toward the acquaintances side of life; people I knew in a past life and see every now and then. That probably says something about me. I much prefer to have a tight knit group of friends than have tons and tons of acquaintances. It's just who I am and you may be different and that works for you. So that's probably why I'm so weirded out by being facebook friends with people I don't really know anymore. Ok, don't de-friend me because of this comment. Who knows, we may run into each other at Peet’s and realize what we had was so good and must be started up again!

5) Fine, the short list of things I do like about Facebook:
- Seeing people’s wedding/baby/trip pictures
- Seeing people’s status comments. Most are random to the point of being amusing and entertaining
- Ah, I think that’s it
- Getting to know acquaintances better via their posts and photos, even if we still will never call each other to catch up

1 comment:

  1. Haha you are hilarious! I kind of agree, I am a big facebook fanatic but I don't like people who barely know me knowing everything about my life. Makes me not want to use it as much. I do like it for keeping in touch with friends & acquaintances. I also like looking at friends photos to see what's new and what they are doing. Okay thats my two cents :) Love you Carrie!

    ReplyDelete