Sunday, March 22, 2009

10 weeks and pleased as punch


I guess now that I've sent press releases to all the US newspapers, I can probably announce on my blog that I'm pregnant. I'm 10 weeks along and feeling, umm, well, I think the word "eh" would sum it up. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased as punch (non-alcoholic now thank you) to be pregnant. I'm overjoyed, elated, head over heels in love with the fact that I'm pregnant. However, I've been dealing with nausea for about 4 weeks now. It's not bad, I haven't hugged the porcelain god, but I just constantly feel "eh." It's hard to be excited when you don't feel great. Think about when you have a cold, you don't feel like doing anything --- exercising, going outside, doing laundry, cooking. That's basically how I've been feeling and although that's a good sign and means the hormones are doing their thing, I'm just getting a little tired of waking up feeling "eh" and going to bed feeling "eh." I'm pretty confident all this will pass soon as I've already started to notice some days are better than others, but I'm ready, already. I'm starting to fill out too, which I never thought I'd be excited about. I still definitely get the looks (maybe it's in my head) from passersby, the "does she have a beer belly or is she pregnant?" look. This is going to sound silly, but when I'm feeling really self-conscious about it, I rub my belly like a pregnant person would. Because who rubs their beer belly besides Homer Simpson? I know it's totally ridiculous, but it makes me feel a little better about being in that in between stage. I'm also quickly getting over my "should I be showing already?" issues. I've realized almost every pregnant person I've seen lately is at least 5'8" and/or was rail thin prior to getting pregnant, so OF COURSE I'm not going to look like them. Screw it!

So even though I said I was pleased as punch, I know all the above yapping would lead you to think otherwise, but believe me when I say that this is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I have no trepidation about being a mother. Delivery is scaring me, but being a mother is going to be amazing. I think I'll ease into it like the best fitting pair of Jimmy Choos. It's a natural fit for me. Kevin is excited too. I think he is nervous about being a dad, but that makes complete sense. I think most men are, but I know he'll be a wonderful father. I see him with our friends kids and he just falls right into place (not saying he acts like a 3 year old) with them. I think we're both looking the most forward to all the inevitable laughing we're going to do. Kids are hilarious and I know ours will be no exception!

My family is also over the moon about the arrival coming on October. My dad already has a Grandpa shirt. It's the cutest thing how overjoyed he is. I'm going home in a couple weeks and can't wait to see all of them. Mom's already stocking up on diapers and Kate's getting her craft on with all kinds of fun baby things including the baby's crib blanket. It will be so special.

2 comments:

  1. So excited!! Everything sounds right on schedule. I was totally showing my 10 weeks last time, but not this time. I hadn't gained any weight until January, and since then I have put on 22 pounds....better for your body to get started early.

    Love you, and I am so excited. See you in a few weeks!!! Party time. Jill (no alcohol) style. It's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the bode of confidence Jill. Hearing it from you makes me feel much better!

    ReplyDelete